From 1 to 4 p.m. outside the Innis Arden Cottage, you will have a chance to connect with many of the wonderful community groups and organizations in Greenwich and the surrounding area which organize water sports and other environmental and naturalist pursuits. Some examples:
- Come see the progress on the restoration of the stone and shingle Cow Barn, the second project of the Greenwich Point Conservancy. This project will be transformative, creating a magnificent gateway to historic Greenwich Point.
- Learn about the ecological aspects of astronomy such as reducing light pollution with the Astronomical Society of Greenwich, and check out what can be seen through telescopes (solar observation, finding the crescent Moon, Venus, and perhaps even Jupiter in the daytime sky).
- Archeologist Ernest Wiegand, a Professor at Norwalk Community College, who will bring a variety of local artifacts and can answer questions about any treasures you find while exploring the park. Librarians from Perrot Library will bring books about the history and ecology of Greenwich Point and the Sound as well as information about summer activities at the library.
- Find out all about birds and other wildlife in our local ecosystem from Greenwich Audubon and Wild Wings, a local wildlife rehabilitation center. These organizations will also explain volunteer opportunities and information about what you can do if you find injured birds.
- Discover many different local organizations dedicated to greening and conserving public spaces in town that you can support and get involved with, including Calf Island Conservancy, Greenwich Green & Clean, Greenwich Point Conservancy, Greenwich Tree Conservancy, the Greenwich Land Trust, and the Calf Island Conservancy.
- There will be many fun activities for children of different ages, including crafts with the Greenwich Conservation Commission, the Greenwich Historical Society, and the Greenwich Community Gardens. The Bruce Museum Seaside Center will have a large touch tank with crabs, oysters, clams, fish, and more, and Naturalists on hand to answer your questions.